|City of Sheldon|
416 9th Street
P.O. Box 276
Sheldon, Iowa 51201
Phone: (712) 324-4651
|Location: Sheldon, Iowa|
Experience: 2 - 5 years
Education: Advanced Degree
Type: Full Time
Shift: 1st - Day
Sheldon Crossroads Pavilion
The Sheldon Crossroads Pavilion is this regions newest state of the art professional meeting, wedding and entertainment complex. It is location is one of the finest in this region equal distant to important business locations in all directions. It is right at the crossroads business and recreation, Highway #60 in Sheldon, Iowa.
It was built with the customer in mind. Plenty of room for your wedding, function, meeting or concert along with the latest technology.
Job Title: General Manager- Sheldon Crossroads Pavilion (SCP)
Reports to: City Manager – City of Sheldon
• Experience in the hospitality, meeting/convention, or event planning business world, preferred.
• Formal training or educational background in the hospitality field a plus.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to multitask in a fast paced professional environment.
• Sales skills to help lead and meet the sales needs for the SCP.
• Ability to build, lead and motive a team of un-skilled and skilled professionals.
• Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors a plus.
• We are looking for a LEADER to lead and grow the SCP.
• Performs other duties, functions and special projects as assigned by the City Manager.
It will be the Sheldon Crossroads Pavilion General Manager’s responsibility to:
• Promote, organize, coordinate and schedule events
• Create and build a marketing and sales plan for the SCP, then sees that the SCP goals, expectations and budget is carried out successfully.
• Hire, train and motivate any and all staff in accordance with the sales and marketing plan and the SCP budget.
• One may be expected to work occasional evenings and weekends. It’s important to remember, you are the one person responsible for making it all happen.
• The General Manager is expected to promote the SCP to a variety of potential clients for a variety of uses. The GM will advertise, market, make cold calls, make presentations, call on customers, and provide other communications as necessary to ensure a high level of activity and use of the facility for different types of events including banquets, meetings, weddings, conferences, concerts, etc.
• The GM is expected to meet with potential and actual clients and learn about the purpose and expectations for an event, which may include follow-up meetings, phone calls, e-mail, or other communications as necessary to review event client’s arrangements and to address any concerns or changes that may arise.
• It is imperative to have excellent listening and communication skills during each client meeting or communication. The GM will provide potential and actual clients with accurate cost proposals for use of the facility.
• The GM is responsible for the scheduling and booking of all events and activities. Accuracy is of highest importance.
• The GM is also responsible for the operation and maintenance of all building equipment and technology services and other offered equipment. They must know how to operate and troubleshoot the operation of all such equipment.
• Maintain Social Media platforms such as web page, Facebook, Instagram and twitter.
• Manages the overall operation of the ticket office and provides for the ordering, sale, and accounting for all tickets sold for events at the building.
• Assures the proper accounting of all money collected for ticket sales.
• Supervises the selection, training, safety and discipline of all ticket office personnel.
• Prepares ticket office reports for event settlements and assists in settlement with promoters.
• Process group sales orders.
• Handle complaints, ticket problems and customer service issues in a fair, professional and courteous manner.
• Oversees Events Center personnel services, including benefits, personnel policy, and compliance with personnel laws and regulations and City policies.
Sales & Marketing
• The GM is responsible for building a sales and marketing plan for the SCP. This plan needs to be workable, function well and with success as well as being measurable.
• The sales and marketing plan needs to be built to insure a solid sales start for the SCP, then after 12 months it needs further development and updating to ensure long term sales success.
• Sales needs to be looked at locally, area wide, regionally than then on a larger basis.
• Included in the sales and marketing plan is internal sales. What is being done inside of the SCP to sell and tell the facility and its services as well as outside of the building complex to accomplish all sales and marketing goals.
• Everyone that works at the SCP will need to accept that they are salespeople for the facility. Sales is paramount for the facility to be successful.
• Part of this plan will include the GM to makes sales calls, make public and regional presentations on the new SCP and its facilities. This could and would include cold calls, calls on new potential customers and manage any communication pertaining to the new SCP.
• Sales and marketing strategies need to be developed to sell and secure weddings, business functions, banquets, trade shows, concerts and music events, but is not limited to these types on functions solely.
• The GM will build a service providers team/list. People and business that can be counted on to make this new facility successful.
• Such service providers as caterers, photographers, decorators, music production producers, etc. This list can be grown significantly.
• The GM and the sales team will be expected to meet with potential clients to learn the expectations of the customer, this can include follow-up meetings and communications. It is important that post function comminutions be planned and managed.
• Along with City of Sheldon, the GM will create the cost and rates for all events.
• SCP rent, food and beverage. This is done while looking at what the competition changes but also what market will allow. The rates need to be competitive, but also allow for the SCP’s working budgets to be successful.
• The GM will be responsible for the scheduling and booking of all events.
Board of Directors
• The GM will work hand in hand with the City and The Chamber of Commerce to fill and insure quality individuals for the SCP Board of Directors.
• Training will be important for the SCP Board members. They will be trained as to the function of this Board, the functioning of the SCP, as well as training on the operation, sales and marketing for the SCP. The GM is responsible for this training.
Employee Training & Team Building
• The GM will work with the City Of Sheldon and the SCP on the hiring and scheduling of any full time or part time staff for the SCP. Such areas that could be included may be: sales-marketing, maintenance, bartenders and servers, cleaning, event set-up or any other SCP needs.
• The GM builds a staffing structure/schedule to track hours and staff schedules to ensure that all services being offered at the SCP are being met and the staffing budget(s) are in line.
• The GM will hold a minimum of monthly staff training/communication sessions to make sure everybody is working together and that maximum efforts and services are being attained.
Financial Management & Controls
• The GM monitors and tracks the finances with the facility including receipts, expenses and payroll.
• On a monthly basis the GM will meet with the City of Sheldon City Manager to review finances and budgets to ensure all is working as it was designed to do.
• The GM is expected to keep accurate records of all finances and use of the facility. They ensure that payment policies are being met and proper invoicing and collection of rental monies and deposits are being made daily.
• Any question pertaining to budget or financial procedures should be sought out promptly with the City of Sheldon.
• The GM is responsible for the building operation and maintenance. They are to ensure that it is kept clean and looking processional at all times. It has to be “sales ready” on a continual basis.
• The GM is the person responsible for opening the building on a daily basis and to make sure it is properly shut down and secured following events and normal daily operations.
• Makes sure the building’s inventory is secure and only assessable by the proper staff.
• The GM knows when the building is in use and used by whom and make sure the proper monitoring of the facility is in place.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor Degree from four-year College or university in Accounting or other business degree with relevant experience.
Two years of general business accounting experience is preferred.
Knowledge of and proficiency in payroll processing and related reporting.
Knowledge of and proficiency in accounting software.
Working knowledge, proficiency and expertise with MS Office programs.
Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Applicant must possess current, valid driver’s license.
Maintain Liquor License for the facility and train all bartenders to meet state law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Further, this job description is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of any employee under his/her supervision. I understand that employment is at the will of the employer and either the employer or the employee may at any time terminate the employment with or without cause.
I have read and understand the Job Description and confirm that I meet the minimum job requirements and can perform the primary job responsibilities as stated for this position.
Employee Signature Date